Saturday, May 14, 2005

The Internet instead of Books?

Ok, so I read this article in the New York Times on Saturday talking about how some "college libraries are settting aside their books in a digital age." Well, I have to say I like books. Not that I am against the Internet, but it is nice to see and feel the book in my hands. It gives me some control that on the Internet I feel I don't have. There is something about being able to take a book (or even research material) with me and being really able to study it. What comes to mind when I think of books or learning material on the Internet is a password protected nightmare that I wouldn't otherwise experience in a public library. Not to say anything for the loading time on a computer or when the occassional Internet site crashes.

But still college are going ahead and building learning centers without books. I understand the reason for taking a step into the "digital age," but I would like to have the ability to have the "book version" and not something on a screen. And having the option of going to an alternative library doesn't cut it. If I pay money to go to a college I want the damn library filled with books even if I don't use them. Its just nice to know they are there.

No comments: