Thursday, September 15, 2005

If no one watches the WNBA does it exist?

Remember when ESPN use to put those stupid WNBA commercials on the air? Those were the days when supporters of the league told me that the WNBA would actually make money and be a profitable enterprise. Well, that was nearly 10 years ago. Today, I live in a WNBA city where no one goes to the games and they give tickets away just to get some attention. Its a sad state of affairs when certain people wanted the labor dispute to cause a lockout so the MCI Center businesses (I am talking about the Chinatown area) could actually make money with events that fill the arena!

With all of that said, I think if the MCI Center signs a contract with the NBA (that is the organization paying the WNBA's bills) and then complains about having a horrible product they have no leg to stand on. Next time the Washington [insert team name cause I don't know what the WNBA team is called here and I am not looking it up]'s contract comes up don't renew it! I believe the MCI Center could do better with the Georgetown basketball teams. At present, the Hoyas play in a horrible arena where the team would be better served playing in a modern arena. One already exists. The MCI Center is a natural fit being within DC and having to go only 15 mins. from the Georgetown campus. In my view, both need each other both in terms of financal want BUT also for creating a great fan product -- either in basketball or in business. I think its something to consider, but will probably never happen.

No comments: