Sunday, July 17, 2005

France and terrorism

Anyone that knows me will find it funny that I am siding with the British on anything, but in this case I have to stand up for something much bigger and put aside my dislike of our ontime Anglo foe.

After the London bombings, British intelligence "brought together law enforcement and intelligence officials from two dozen European countries and the United States, sharing crucial intelligence and pleading for help in tracking down the bombers."

Of course, the French were also invited to share intelligence information for use in bringing the London terriorists to justice. But, the French being French, decided it was better to score political points instead of actually helping.

In an article by New York Times reporter Elaine Sciolino, she reports that France's antiterrorism coordinator, Christophe Chaboud, leaked privileged information. In an interview with Le Monde, Mr. Chaboud said he knew of "the nature of the explosives" used in the London bombings. He added that they appeared to be "military" in nature and that "is very worrisome." He went on to speculate about the origins of the explosives.

The remarks by Mr. Chaboud turned out to be completely false, but that isn't what concerns me. After the so called French antiterrorist chief leaked this information, he then went into a "I-told-you-so" speech against the British arguing that "Europe was a more dangerous place because of the war in Iraq." He added that "Iraq has revived the logic of total conflict against the west."

Mr. Chaboud's comments have created a "poisonous ... atmosphere" where the British (rightfully I might say) "feel that the French may have leaked bad information on purpose." As the director of a European intelligence agency said, "My friends in London are furious at the French about this. They believe they released this incorrect information deliberately." The result, he added, is "there's not much good will left between them."

I really can't put into words the contempt and outrage I feel right now. All I can say is with friends like the French, who needs enemies?

No comments: