Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Students for Saving Social Security

Although I have my doubts about President George W. Bush on many issues, in the area of social security reform I support him 100%. His plan is to allow younger workers to open private retirement accounts that they would, in part, own and operate. The President has done much to promote this reform measure, but Congress has been unable or unwilling to help.

In an asserted effort to support the President's plan, a group of college students will be following members of Congress around "in waffle and duck costumes." These students will also talk to members of the Senate Finance Committee (the committee initially responsible for any Social Security legislation) in an effort to press for private accounts. As one of the group's members stated: "The government is spending our money. We don't want a handout. Just give us our money."

Although I would like the government to end this entitlement program, I support everything this group is doing. I understand my view is in the minority and the only thing I can do is press reform from the edges. Therefore, I support private accounts because they empower the individual over the state. Some may believe that the weakness of our capitalistic system necessities a social security "safety net," but I feel it breeds dependency and unrealistic expectations. Social security was never meant to be the primary means of retirement funding. However, some think that they can live off of a government check that would be a fifth of what an average worker made in a month.

Whoever reads this please think about the social and economic downfall and liabilities in keeping such a system in place and join me in advocating the reform (ending?) of social security.

1 comment:

A Minha Sombra said...

Hi, im from Portugal and i found your blog in recently updated.

Bye,
Miguel