Monday, October 10, 2005

Credit card debt means I pay more for beer

I have perfect credit. If a girl was picking a guy just on his credit score I would be one of the top candidates. Why do I mention this? Too many young people risk years of buying power death because they over spend. And since interest rates are on the rise (the average variable-rate credit card now charges 14.2 perent, up from 11.9 percent from last year), one would probably think twice about using a credit card. Yet, many people, not just the young, are in debt. Economists est. that consumer credit grew to $2.16 trillion in August, up from $2.07 trillion last 2004. Only 5 years ago consumer debt was only at $1.64 trillion (10 years ago it was under $1 trillion).

Now I really don't care if people I don't know get into credit card debt, but looking at the macro-economic picture of it all huge consumer debt equals inflation (which is bad for me). Since inflation can occur through the increase in the supply of money at a rate greater than the expansion in the size of the economy then taking in too much credit card debt would naturally expand money flow in an unnatural way.

Why all of this is bad for me or people with no credit debt? Inflation increase prices because of people spending too much or over extending their credit. Higher prices means that I have to pay more for beer. I love beer but dont' like paying more for it because some asshole thought they would put all their x-mas shopping onto their master card. My point. Stop going into debt. If you do interests rates go up which is bad but more importantly I have to pay more for beer.

No comments: