Monday, October 10, 2005

Susette Kelo and Eminent Domain

I should have done a post on the Kelo decision months ago, but I found the outrage over the Supreme Court's ruling great enough to allow for time to go by before I stated my thoughts.

For many weeks after hearing about the Court's 5-4 decision I tried to place myself in Susette Kelo's situation. How would I react if I was forced by local officials to sell my home to some company looking to build shops where I lived for years? I still think about this question because I don't know. What I do know is that I am angery about the implications of the decision. As Justice Sandra Day O'Connor stated in dissent: "The spector of condemnation hangs over all property. Nothing is to prevent the state replacing any ... home with a shopping mall, or any farm with a factory."
Private property is at the root of all power. Look at most politicans. Most, if not all, are property owners. They could not go into government service without securing wealth to live. The same is true of those who protest. Ever wonder how one can afford to go to Washington, DC or the lastest G8 Summit city to yell about the injustice of people in Africa or the War in Iraq? Without money and land that brings about the feeling of security to worry about others lives, one would not be able to protest. Most people without private property are too busy working to pay next months rent or the min. payment on their credit card bill.

Private property is the first step to independence and freedom. Our Founding Fathers understood this concept and fought a Revolution over it. It is too bad that five justices on the Supreme Court forgot about history and choose to screw all Americans.

No comments: