Thursday, October 20, 2005

D.C. officials have threaten to take private property to build $535 million dollar ballpark

I love baseball. I think it is one of the greatest games ever. That is why I supported bringing baseball to the Washington, D.C. area in 2004. Although I support D.C. baseball, I do not agree that District citizens should be forced to pay for a ballpark nor do I think property owner's land should be taken away.

The city is set to build a $535 million ballpark along the Anacostia River. That park will be primarly funded by taxpayers like myself. In addition, 23 private landowners along the Anacostia River area are forced to either sell their property to the city or have it taken away through eminent domain.

The land is not just sitting there. It is home to the city's gay nightclubs. Twenty years ago the District government told the gay nightclub owners to move down to the Anacostia area but now the city wants the land so its tough luck for those suckers.

The lession I learn from all of this is you can't trust government. They will try to screw you everytime. That is why I can never understand why liberals want more government that one day will just shove it up your ass. Sorry for the language but I really get upset when private property is taken for this type of use. Its not public. Not everyone enjoys baseball. Most people in the District will never go to a game nor benefit from the team. Actually the team with hurt most citizens through the tax increase that will have to come in order to pay for the ballpark. But MLB does this in every city. Force the taxpayers to pay for their expense parks while they make billions off of us going to their games. And to add to our pain the local government goes along with MLB's plan by forcing its citizens off their private property. Isn't America great!

No comments: